The Law of the Inner Circle; Maxwell’s 11th Irrefutable Law of Leadership states that, a Leader’s potential is determined by those closest to him. Nobody achieves greatness alone. It is a leader’s inner circle that makes the difference.
Maxwell suggests the following five questions to consider before you admit someone to your inner circle:
- Do They Have High Influence with Others? – One key to successful leadership is the ability to influence the people who influence others. How do you do that? By drawing influencers into your inner circle.
- Do They Bring a Complementary Gift to the Table? – Bring a few key people into your inner circle that possess strengths in your areas of weakness.
- Do They Hold a Strategic Position in the Organisation? – Some people belong in your inner circle because of their importance to the organisation. If you and they are not working on the same page, the entire organization is in trouble.
- Do They Add Value to Me and to the Organisation? – The people in your inner circle must add value to you personally. They should also have a proven track record as assets to the organisation. Seek for your inner circle people who help you improve.
- Do They Positively Impact Other Inner Circle Members? – Team chemistry is vital. You want your inner circle to have a good fit with one another. You also want inner circle members to make one another better, to raise one another’s game.
Have you surrounded yourself with high performers?
Are they extending your reach and influence to help you become a better leader?
This is the 11th article in a series of 21. Previous articles can be found here:
- The Law of the Lid: How effective are you as a leader?
- The Law of Influence: The True Measure of Leadership
- The Law of Process: Leadership is a Journey of Continuous Improvement
- The Law of Navigation: Anyone can Steer the Ship…
- The Law of Addition: Adding Value by Serving Others
- The Law of Solid Ground: Trust is the Foundation of Leadership
- The Law of Respect: People Don’t Follow Others by Accident
- The Law of Intuition: Evaluate Everything with a Leadership Bias
- The Law of Magnetism: Who You Are, Is Who You Attract
- The Law of Connection: Leaders that Care Make Connections