It never ceases to amaze me that people believe that implementing a CRM system (Salesforce or otherwise) is the answer to their problems. Why is it so difficult to understand that a repository of data without a sales process will not yield competitive advantage? In order to be successful, your sales team need to have a greater understanding of your clients business than ever before. Your CRM system must provide rich data as part of the initial lead AND it must guide your sales team through the qualification and bid process.
We have shown (http://www.axispoint.co.uk/lead2cash/) a number of prospects how easy it is to link Salesforce with external systems like OneSource, Hoovers and Google News to provide the background information that give them an edge when calling or meeting their prospects and they are excited. However, too often, they fail to see the wisdom in ruthless qualification supported by a properly implemented sales process.
At Axispoint, our sales process (for complex sales) has a “Bid Review” step where the Sales Exec must:
- Show a full 360 degree understanding of the clients business,
- Be able to articulate the problem our solution will address,
- Monetize the As-Is and To-Be to demonstrate the RoI for the client,
- Describe their relationship with the problem owner, the budget holder, the IT Director and the Business Owner
- Demonstrate the clients desire to solve the problem and their ability to pay.